Sunday, August 25, 2024

Mid-August Mini Adventures. Aug. 17th and 18th.

The weather was supposed to be more accommodating than usual and I wanted to see some snakes. A pretty good spot is up at a big pond in Essex County, so that's where we headed. Ice cream is also nearby, just in case.

We got there late morning and looked around outside, near the parking area first. That is where we saw a couple of small Green Frogs in a mud puddle!

The frog of the day would definitely be the Pickerel. This guy pulled me down into a dried out streambed before I could get the shot but we would see dozens on the day.

I went up to flip a log and was surprised to see a pretty Garter right there.

I find the marking on this Pickerel to be pretty cool. Almost like one long smudge on either side instead of rows of dots.

We could see some Painters enjoying the sun through the trees. I'm glad I got these shots because the best turtle spot here was pretty much dried up. These were our only turtles on the day.

My favorite snake spot at this place had been razed back. I figured that would either help or hinder. Turned out to be a hindrance. A big Water Snake slipped out of nowhere into the drink and as I looked down into the pond at it, a smaller one slid in from the same spot. No idea where they were. A blank space stared back at me. A Garter did a similar magic trick. I did see a Bullfrog in the pond, though.

It had become a little late in the day and our best Water Snake spot, on the reservoir, was all in shade. I did see one large body slip into the rocks, though. Then, I saw this...
Hard to believe that we had to wait until August 17th for our first Ribbon but such is the way of the world these days.
That redeemed us for the bad treatment we suffered from the hidden Water Snakes.

Heading back, I flipped a massive rock and we saw a small, brand new Spotted Salamander. For such a small guy, his spots are impressive.

We're not much for pushing ourselves hard anymore... I'd already had a few sit-downs due to prexxing (our word for that low blood sugar dizziness and gasping for air shit). But the powerline cut above was always good for Garters and it is shoestring season, so we took it slowly, but checked out a few stones in the cut. Instant gratification. A brand new Garter!
Doip!

Another nearby stone was lifted and this guy threw himself into this position.

Andrea was popping some Touch-me-nots and looked down and saw this medium sized guy and his balancing act.
A good way to end this hike. And yes, I got Maple Walnut.

The next day, we'd hoped to have similar luck and went to a spot deep into Norfolk County. It was supposed to be overcast and warm. Well, overcast it sure was, in fact it rained a few times. It really wasn't a great day to be out, but we did see a few tenacious critters.

First up was a couple of intrepid Painted Turtles. Not a speck of sun but it was good enough for them. And us too, I guess.

Quite a way in, we found the American Toad vein.

I flipped this lovely, dark Garter under a stone. It would be the only snake on the day.

A mile plus further on, Andrea saw this Pickerel hop into position.

Heading back towards the car, at a spot that we'd looked at on the way in, I heard a kid say to his folks "that is SO a Bullfrog". He was right. This is SO a Bullfrog. A nice one, too.

And that's where we ended the day. Over 3 1/2 miles and six photographs. But we got some exercise and fresh air and were immersed in nature. A good day, if you ask me. But you didn't ask, did you. You know, that's something that bothers me. You never ask if it was a good day. Like, are you worried that I'll say "no, it sucked"? Get over it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment