Monday, June 22, 2020

Seeing Spots and a Ringneck Patty. 6-14-2020

I don't remember much... this was last week. The weather was nice and we went to an old favorite Norfolk County spot, hoping to not see many humans. As I recall, it wasn't too bad in that respect.

We wanted to see turtles and we did, once we got to the dam. First up was this small Painted Turtle prowling about, looking for some breakfast.
DSCN2770

Then we hit the Spotted sweet-spot. We stood there in the sun for quite a while, watching turtles be turtles. Here are some pictures. There must have been a dozen turtles, but I can't guarantee there are no repeats among these photos.
DSCN2774
DSCN2776
DSCN2779
DSCN2782
DSCN2783
DSCN2786
DSCN2787
We finally tore ourselves away.

We often cut through a golf course here and since there were no golfers, we got to poke around the course a little closer. This Painter was in a water hazard.
DSCN2788

We took a bog walk and encountered this gorgeous garter who posed nicely for us.
DSCN2790

Back on the trail, we saw this mama Wolf Spider earning Mother of the Year votes.
DSCN2791

Up at the Hobo Camp, we saw a Ringneck. I swear there was a ring on that neck.
DSCN2793

One rock had a perfect disc of intertwined Ringers... 3 of them looking like a hamburger patty.
DSCN2795
Of course, lifting the rock to be safe, they scattered.
DSCN2796

Later on, I finally got my camera on an adult Two-lined Salamander. A very pretty one, at that.
DSCN2797

Ringneck Hill yielded no Ringnecks, but since the patty, we were all set. A smooth Garter slid away from me unphotographed so all I can claim from the Hill is this tiny Redback.
DSCN2799

Over at the docks, there were no people, save one older hippy dude. Therefore, the Water Snakes were out and sunning themselves. One had a messed up face, perhaps SFD, and I did not keep any photos of him. But these ones were fine.
DSCN2800
Charlene
DSCN2807
This guy was being shy.
DSCN2808

This Garter was being even more shy.
DSCN2809

I was adamant about not getting Ice Cream unless we got 10 species. And we only had 7. But how can I say no to this beautiful creature?
DSCN2810

I had Maple Walnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment