Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Into the Woods. 6-28-2020

Our mission to find a Massachusetts Wood Turtle has been going on for years, but pursuing that mission has taken a back seat many times. I'm not to fond of targeting a specific species at the expense of seeing anything else. We usually take a stab at Woods once a year. We have done plenty of research, looking at Google Earth and historical records but still haven't seen a MA Woodie yet.

With a recent hot tip from a good friend, we decided to move down-river from one of our other spots that hadn't panned out  last year. We got to the river a bit before noon after finally finding the parking area. From there on, it was smooth sailing. The river sure looked promising.
DSCN2943
No shit... I swear that with my first glimpse at the river, I saw a turtle leave the shallow water at the edge of the far shore and swim into a tangle of sticks. No photo, no proof. It could have been a cluster of underwater leaves that I startled and they let go and swam to the sticks. I don't know.

We explored all along the river, the sandy areas, and the fields. The spot looks great for Hognoses and Garters. I'm told Racers are about as well, but it was very hot and sticky and we didn't expect any snakes on the day. In fact, we didn't see any animals until Andrea started finding small American Toads in the grass down my the water.
DSCN2945
DSCN2948
I only managed to scare a Pickerel Frog into the drink with no photo.

We explored every bush and every crevice, being very thorough. It was about 3789% humidity and it was hot. That river started to look very welcoming. Out in a hot, sunny spot, this American Toad was under a tire. He was quite surprised to see me.
DSCN2949

We went into a more wooded area and the 'skeeters started enjoying us. We walked through thick grasses towards the river. I heard something slide into the water. It was a small Water Snake. I stepped forward to try for a photo, but there was no ground in front of me, just a 4-foot drop in the tall grasses. I didn't break my arm, but I knocked the wind out of myself. I started photographing Grasshoppers instead.
#3 Melanoplus bivittatus- Two-striped Grasshopper nymph ♀
My #3 on the year, a female Two-striped nymph.

We headed back because the "trail" disappeared. There had been an earlier fork in the proper path, so we took the side we hadn't looked at on the way in. I had personally decided to stop with the Wood Turtle search and just enjoy the place and the exploration. It was a gorgeous setting and in better (less hot and sticky) weather, it would be a pleasant hike.

From the path, I saw an opening in the woods about 30 feet in, so I headed in to see if it would take us to the water again. On the way, I saw a really pretty American Toad who was missing his left foot.
DSCN2955

I got a look at the open area and it turns out it was a dried up vernal pool. Well, I love vernal pools even when they're dry, so I headed up the thin "path" and into the former pond area. While I was poking around, hoping to see a Pickerel Frog or something, Andrea said "You just stepped right over a fucking Wood Turtle."

She's right. I had.
DSCN2957
Our first ever encounter with this species in this state and I stepped right over it. Glad I didn't step on it or kick it in my oblivious state.

He's a big guy for sure and he didn't like my camera too much. Sweat was streaming into my glasses and I could barely see what I was shooting anyway.
DSCN2960

We got our pictures and then watched him walk off into the brush and perfectly disappear.
DSCN2961

Well, there you go. We finally got our Massachusetts Wood Turtle. Many thanks must go to our friend who suggested we try our luck at this part of the river. I'd like to also get back to the spot we'd decided looked good last year... the river and terrain is very similar. It's good to have one under our belts and a little bit of a search image.

It's funny, our Lifer was 11 years ago in Connecticut. It was up walking along a boardwalk we were on. Wow! Woods are easy!

NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment