Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crabby Tuesday 8-23-2011

This post is dedicated to Guy N. Smith.

I don't like beaches. I hate getting sand in my shoes and underwear. I don't care for ocean water. I like woods and fresh water and snakes. That's why, when plans to meet a friend at Walden Pond (a snake-tastic place that we've not been to this year) changed to Castle Island, I was a bit grumpy. Screaming kids, exposed skin that should be always covered and no snakes. Pleh.

While we waited, at least we saw some Cormorants commandeer a small boat.
DSCN2378
I happily pictured the Captain with his eyes pecked out, laying in a pool of blood and salt-water while this crew heckled him from the dock...
DSCN2380

Finally, as it looked like we weren't going to meet our friends after all, Andrea went and got all logical on me. She said we should enjoy ourselves since were here. "How?", I thought... then she suggested looking for crabs.

My only real contact with picking up a crab was in the "Touch Tank" at the North Carolina Aquarium, where they had some kind of Spider Crab or King Crab or something that, when I picked him up, pinched my thumb so hard that a blood blister formed immediately under the nail! So, I approached these local guys with caution...

The shores and rocks were littered with shells and barnacles... I mean just alive with shells. Andrea found the first crab...
DSCN2389

I got up my courage and grabbed this mellow one... it was just a molted shell...
DSCN2390

Then we started catching live ones!!! (that first one is on a penny...)
DSCN2394
DSCN2397
DSCN2398
DSCN2402
DSCN2417

As you see, once we realized that they don't pinch much, we weren't pussies anymore!

There were hermit crabs there too!
DSCN2414

This guy took a stroll up my arm and it tickled!
DSCN2420

Nature shot!! Check out that camouflage!
DSCN2422
DSCN2444

More Hermit Crabs!
DSCN2426

More crabs!
DSCN2424
DSCN2441
DSCN2443
DSCN2450
DSCN2462

Sometimes, when we lifted rocks, crabs would scurry and try to get under our shoes! (Here's my gratuitous "new hiking shoe" shot...)
DSCN2437
DSCN2442
These photos look like we're squashing them, but we were very careful NOT TO!

Some other things along the beach...
DSCN2440
DSCN2449
(Razor shell)

Sandworms... as seen in SQUIRM!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
DSCN2459

These really long (the white part above is part of the pink part below) and gross worms...
DSCN2445

And these tubey worm things that squirted when you poked 'em...
DSCN2455
It looked something like this:


There were lots of Seagulls hunting crabs as well.
DSCN2463

Imagine that... me having fun on a beach!! Once we left the "family-fun-zone" and started exploring on our own, it was a blast!! The only one more surprised than me is the Al Feldstein character on my arm!
DSCN2453

No comments:

Post a Comment