Saturday, May 28, 2011

5-25-2011- Nature through the window

Just as I was posting the last entry, I was hearing some lively bird chatter outside of my window. Our cat Gibson was all atwitter, too. I looked out and saw a fledgling Robin on a branch, with his head cocked skyward, looking at an adult Robin who was singing from a post some 10 feet above.

Fledgling Robin
DSCN1109

I do believe it was a flying lesson in the works. This lasted for roughly 15 minutes until something scared off the adult, leaving the youngster alone.

The fledgling tried spreading out his little wings, stretching them. He didn't have much in the way of tail feather. He hopped along the branch a bit. He flapped his "wings" and "flew" a few inches along the same branch.

Andrea and I were watching and HOPING that he was going to get the hang of it, as dusk was setting in quickly.

After 5 or 10 minutes... all of a sudden, he took off... possibly for the first time ever! After a slew of false starts, he flew, about 15 feet up into the tree, probably to his nest!

This drama was amazing to watch. We're so happy for him that he made it back before darkness! And before the next train went by!

1 comment:

  1. ¡Tenemos el problema de google,que nos dificulta los mails!Te saludo y me maravillo con tus fotos. CariƱos Martha Barnes

    ReplyDelete