Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Art of Garter 8-24-2014

We were still toast from the day before and I let Andrea sleep in a bit. We had planned on going to a turtle place, in hopes of seeing hatchlings. We chose Assabet, a good place to see the Chelonians that we saw so few of in Western MA. We got there after 10 AM, achy and tired. My head was still very fuzzy when we hit the trails.

Things got off to a frustrating start when Andrea flipped a shoestring Garter and it managed to elude both of us!! OK! I'm awake now!!!

She recovered quickly when, further up the trail, I turned around and saw this:
DSCN8493
She had given me one of my favorite sights... my wife with a snake in hand!
DSC_0001
DSCN8499
A dark beauty.

Not much further in, we saw this little guy truckin' along!
DSCN8503
All noggin and tenacity!
DSCN8504

We looked around for deflated female Garters and took a path over to a pond where we had seen a girthy female last time here. We didn't see her but we spied our first Painted of the day, way way out there.
DSCN8506

Closer in, some Bullfrogs were enjoying a bask on top of some lily pads.
DSCN8510
DSCN8511
Thank you, Bullfrogs... I love the classics!

Andrea pointed out some Painteds that were much closer.
DSCN8512

Almost to our favorite spot, we flipped some Redbacks... one red and one lead!
DSCN8514
DSCN8515

Then we started seeing turtles... tons of Painteds! Large and small. Here are some of them.
DSCN8519
DSCN8521
DSCN8525

I was considering using only this picture, because both turtles are visible...
DSCN8523
But when looking at the close-up I got of the bigger guy, I see that there are six noggins poking up around him!
DSCN8524
I'm in love with that picture!

Being a Bullfrog is SFB.
DSCN8528

Walking up the trail, we were stealthy. Until Andrea saw a turtle on the path and burst into a run to see it! A young Painted was taking a stroll from one pond to another.
DSC_0003
DSCN8537

This threesome charmed us to death!
DSCN8542

This wee guy is just being fabulous!!
DSCN8548

A ride 'em cowboy Bullfrog!
DSCN8551

Another Redback!
DSCN8552

We were exploring a large field, hoping for some newborn turtles. I stayed near the edges because it was getting hot and I'm a pussy. But it paid off... I saw this Slim Jim Garter!
DSCN8556
I thought I had a Ribbon for a second! He was so skinny, he could almost hide under a twig!
DSC_0007

We decided to go further down the path, much to my surprise. But I sucked it up and went on like a grownup. And it paid off... another wee shoestring making his way through the day, obviously on a super serious mission.
DSCN8560
DSC_0009

This extended trail also got us a Pickerel Frog!
DSCN8565

Andrea spotted an American Toad while I was enjoying a snack. Photos or it didn't happen!
DSC_0011
DSCN8568

Don't look now, but we were at 6 species! Only 8 shy of the day before!!

Hah! Yeah, right. We headed back. We saw this Bullfrog that I thought was a Green at first.
DSCN8571

Then we saw a Garter relaxing in the afternoon sun.
DSCN8583

I took ten shots of this Bullfrog before I got one I liked. Why? I dunno... I though he was cute!
DSCN8590

Another Pickerel...
DSCN8592

I saw a Garter... well, a bit of one. Just about 4 inches of neck and head coming out from the leaves.
DSCN8596
She looked like she'd be big so I wanted to see if she was worth measuring or if she was deflated. It turns out, she had a big meal in her... I could feel it in her tummy. Needless to say, I left her alone.

Andrea finally found our real Green Frog: species #7.
DSCN8597

Then, another big Garter with another big meal!
DSCN8600

And our last herp? The eighth Garter of the day!
DSCN8602

Not a bad trip for two tired souls! Good things come to those who herp.

That said, my work's summer party is today, Tuesday the 26th. I didn't want to go so when the place closed at noon, I hit Brook on the way home. It's 88° out there and it feels even hotter. But I made a quick trip out of it anyway. It was scorching in the sun and much of the water is dried up. I managed a few Green Frogs, though!
DSCN8609
DSCN8610
DSCN8611
DSCN8613


That's it until the weekend. The weekend that should blow my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment