Friday, August 22, 2014

Blood, Sweat and Musk. 8-17-2014

We wanted more turtles. MORE TURTLES, do you hear?! So we went out to a spot in Harvard, MA to see some. As we often do, we were hoping for some Blandings but it wasn't to be. But we got a lot of other goodies!

We got there at about 10 AM and for the first bit, we didn't see anything! No frogs, even (and this place is full of frogs). We didn't see a herp until the very end of the first pond, when we got a long distance glimpse of some Painted Turtles.
DSCN8325

And around the shore, we started to notice frogs... like a Green.
DSCN8328

Some Pickerels...
pickerels

And some Bulls.
DSCN8334

Andrea caught an American Toad...
DSCN8336

while this one caught me!
DSCN8341

We found a rare August Redback!
DSCN8338

And then the turtles began.. Painted Terror!
DSCN8343
DSCN8344

This Bullfrog was HUGE and beautiful!
DSCN8345

We finally got our eyeballs on a snake... this Garter was in the bushes.
DSCN8346
He completely handed me my ass when I tried to pull him out for more photos. Just made me look foolish!

We got to some abandoned Beaver dams, where there are always Water Snakes. I saw a small one flit off quickly and a huge fat one slowly descend into the tangle of sticks. I got a hand on fattie's tail and very slowly extricated her, a bit at a time. She wasn't as long as I thought at first when I saw the girth.
DSCN8349
She'll be dumping a shitload of babies soon, methinks! She bit me for my efforts.
DSC_0006
DSC_0007

Further up the trail, there were two more large Water Snakes. One went further into the bush while one stayed close for a photo.
DSCN8353
(You can just see the tail of the other one, just left of center at the top edge of the picture.)

Man, these Water Snakes are massive!!

Painted Turtles seemed to be on all basking spots, though they often plopped in when they heard our footsteps on the trail. These ones were braver than most:
DSCN8354
DSCN8356
DSCN8358

Another nice Bullfrog:
DSCN8359

In the interest of seeing the ponds more, we turned back after going further down the forest trail. We had by now missed a number of Garter Snakes and a Spring Peeper (that just disappeared, leaving me on my hands and knees in poison ivy). We then saw these two Green Frogs ridin' the rail!
DSCN8361

Off the trail, we saw another huge Water Snake.
DSC_0013
I just had to measure this one! It was pissed, like all Water Snakes.
DSCN8364
This brute turned out to be 40 inches!
DSCN8365
Never landed a bite, either! Hah!

Another Water Snake was basking near the water's edge, a much smaller one, and this is the best I could do before he slithered off.
DSCN8367

Andrea spied another wee Toad!
DSC_0023

Then, after 3 or 4 misses, we found a Garter Snake that we could get close-ups of!
DSC_0026
Yeah, she was pissed too. But look... no dorsal stripe!
DSC_0030
I didn't think she looked that big because she was thin, but she measured out at 31"!! It looks like she has recently  given birth. Check out the extra skin!
DSCN8373

Two beauties!
DSCN8374

We then decided... what the hell? Let's go around again!

A pickerel and more Painteds!
DSCN8375
DSCN8377
DSCN8379
DSCN8381

Near a boardwalk, we heard a swoosh... and this small Water Snake came gliding past us.
DSCN8382

One of the beaver dams now had a Garter basking on it!
DSCN8384
No lack of dorsal stripe there!

At the next boardwalk, I saw a large Water Snake moving into the bush off the side. I pulled him up, he bit me and I put him on the walkway for photos.
DSC_0038
DSC_0039
DSCN8390
We got some great shots and then let him crawl off. Another big snake. Then Andrea pointed to the many splashes of blood on the boardwalk. It seems that this one had given me a pretty good slashing bite! The skin was separated and gushing nicely!
DSC_0046
This is the first time I have ever had to actually dress a bite in the wild! The little devil got me good!

Andrea rested...
DSCN8392
before taking this shot of a Pickerel hiding in the grass!
DSC_0049

Our last animal was a very cute American Dagger Moth caterpillar!
DSC_0053
He adopted Andrea's shoe.
DSCN8395

On the way to the car, we missed two Wood Frogs. We really didn't have much luck with some of the animals this day but we saw dozens of herps so there's really nothing to complain about! I mean, if we had managed to capture any of the Garters that we couldn't grab, our hands would smell even worse than they already did... which was BAD! Blood, Sweat and Musk... nectar of the Gods.

2 comments: