Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Post Squamate Blues 10-27-2013

The seasons have shifted and no longer will snakes be our focal point for herp trips. I guess there is a chance that we might see one or two wayward coils again this year, but our herp trips are turning towards the amphibians... for as long as they'll have us.

So, I had been in bed since Wednesday. Come Sunday afternoon, Andrea thought some fresh air might do me some good. She certainly needed some, what with breathing in my sickness all day. So we took a quick walk through our Suffolk County salamander haven. To be honest, I spent a lot of time sitting on a log while she flipped.

I did, however, flip a few things and indeed found our first salamander... a Redback!
DSCN8014
S is for Salamander.

Andrea was being way more aggressive... she was wading through the mud, flipping heavy logs in a dried up vernal. Her persistence paid of. She called to me... "Blue"! So, I had to actually stand up and go over to where she was!

She had found two Blue Spotted Salamanders in the time it took me to get there...
DSC_0003
DSC_0012
The smaller, dark backed guy was being nutty, but she managed to get a twofer shot all the same!
DSC_0011
Gorgeous!

Back up on the path, she flipped a log that had a Redback...
DSC_0016
AND a Blue Spotted!
DSC_0021

When she picked up the Blue to return the log into position, he went into defensive mode! We had never seen one do that!
DSC_0024
DSCN8020

I flipped a long, healthy Redback.
DSCN8019

Andrea next found this beautiful Spotted Salamander!
DSC_0028
Quite a photogenic guy!
DSC_0035

I finally earned my keep with a Redback/ Blue Spotted flip!
DSC_0040

From there on, we saw many Redbacks. Here are a few of them...
DSC_0044
DSCN8030
DSC_0045
DSCN8031
This last guy was teeny, but we didn't have a dime. Trust me, he could have fit on it!
DSC_0046

An area that had retained a couple of puddles (man, we need some rain!) had some Green Frog noggins poking out.
DSCN8035
DSC_0049

Well, that is all we saw. We diligently flipped some rocks that were in the sun on the off chance of some snakes, but none were about. I mean, it was only 55°, so it wasn't surprising!

But it felt good to get some air and watch Andrea find some herps! Now excuse me... I'm going back to bed.

1 comment:

  1. ¡Andrea vale oro!!!!!un beso x2Martha ¡Que te mejoresMike!!!!!

    ReplyDelete