Monday, October 14, 2013

M-M-My Ambystoma! 10-12-2013

After a few decent days during the week, we were again slapped in the kisser by the weekend weather forecast. This particular Saturday wasn't expected to get above 60°F and believe me... it didn't. We waited until near noon for the drizzle to let up. We hoped for sun, but it never came. I was angry about the weather, but I (stupidly) said to Andrea "I promise at least one snake"! Things get desperate at the end of snake season.

So, where did we go on this dismal day? To our go-to place in Norfolk County, part of the Blue Hills! We arrived and hit the trails and sure enough, it was very cool (mid-50s) and I'll be damned if it wasn't super windy too!

It wasn't long before we flipped this... oh, my little spotted one. My spotted one. When ya gonna give me my Ambystoma!
DSCN7769

We chased him with three nice Redbacks!
DSCN7770
DSC_0007
DSC_0008

Then we flipped another Spotted... a tubby Orca-looking fella!
DSCN7772

OK, it would at least be a good Salamander day! Another!! My-y-y-y-y wooo!
DSC_0016

Maybe I should start singing a Redback song, too!
DSC_0018

This was all in the first leg of the hike, so obviously it was not a herp-trip in vain! We were near the water and I was hoping to flip a neonate water Snake who hadn't had the sense to go into hibernation yet. Much to my surprise, I flipped a decent sized Garter Snake under a deep stone!
DSC_0019
It was the flick of a switch... he woke up and started going all Hognose-display on us!
DSC_0024
DSCN7778
He finally calmed down and posed nicely before slithering back into his hiding spot under the rock.
DSC_0028

Yay!! I didn't break my promise!! Could this striking (literally) snake be our last of 2013?

Right nearby... I always get up for the sight of the Spotted kind! Fourth Spottie!
DSCN7784

The damp woods revealed more Caudata lovelies... like Redbacks...
DSC_0033
ponk pleth

and...
Come a little closer, uh... a-closer uh. Close enough to look at my Ambystoma!
DSCN7786
This guy had a serious chip on his shoulder.

I got back down near some water and finally found a frog! A young Green Frog!
DSCN7790

We went on a bit without seeing much. We had put a moratorium on Redbacks again. But before too long, Andrea flipped a log and yelled "holy shit"! She had flipped our first Marbled in this county since 2008!
DSC_0044
DSCN7792
DSCN7794
(hey, how did that Redback get there to photobomb?!)
DSC_0046

Well, that was pretty awesome!

We got down to a spot that is good for Two-Lined Salamanders and we started flipping. I had two Pickerel Frogs and two Two-lineds hand me my ass while Andrea missed a Two-lined as well. Finally, we got our shit together. Andrea got this lovely Pickerel shot!
DSC_0048

I finally caught a Two-Lined larvae and got this photo...
DSCN7806

This is my pathetic attempt at Pickerel redemption!
DSCN7808
"Kiss my spotted butt, Howlett!"

Here's a nice bright Redback!
DSCN7809

I finally caught a good sized Pickerel and got this photo.
DSCN7812
Pay no attention to the outstretched left leg that somebody might be holding on to.

Do we have time for one more? Is it just destiny? Destiny? I knew we would flip another Ambystoma!
DSC_0053

Lead and Red.
DSCN7816

It never hit 60°. It stayed grey and gloomy for the whole 4 hours we were there. Beautiful in a subdued way, but this just wasn't reptile weather!
DSC_0057
DSC_0056

But it was just fine for 'phibs! Like this last Spotted! We just had a Knack for finding them this day!
DSCN7817

We got our revenge on adult Two-Lined Salamanders on the way out. Andrea struck first when she flipped this beauty!
DSC_0060

Up a bit, we both found (and missed) many, but here are photographs of five more! (If those aren't eggs in the tummy of the first one, I'll eat my hat!)
DSC_0063
DSC_0066
DSCN7824
DSCN7825
DSC_0067

A cold day in October... seven species (one a threatened species- the Marbled Sal- Ambtstoma opacum!). We were quite pleased with ourselves! A snake (our last of 2013?)! Six Spotted Salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum)! Not bad for a couple of folks who hate the cold!

It's not over yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment