Monday, November 5, 2012

The end of the line?

As I sit here in my home, which is a brisk 62 degrees right now, I'm contemplating the possibility of no more herping this year. Of course, we hope to, but realistically, it might just be too damn cold for cold blooded creatures.

We went over to our friends Kate and Snag's house on Halloween. We arrived early, in hopes of seeing a frozen Dekay's Snake, but no such luck. This wee Redback was, however, up and walking across the top of a rock!

DSCN2688

We went back the following Saturday, November 3rd, because it was warm in the sun. You never know. We flipped everything possible. We managed to find this behemoth Redback.
DSCN2734
(That's a dime)

So, these two young Redbacks might well be the last finds of a wonderful year!

4 comments:

  1. Hola Mike: Allá hace mucho frío los animales invernan. Ese de la foto,me da ternura. bx2 Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La temporada ha terminado, Martha. Incluso nuestra casa es fría ahora! Tendremos que esperar hasta abril, creo.

      XXOO

      Delete
  2. I also saw a large redback on Halloween evening. It disappeared into the grass before I could get a photo.

    ReplyDelete