We got to our Norfolk County spot and headed straight to a pile of rocks that were getting optimum sun. On the way to the rocks, we got our first animal photographed... a speedy Redback.

We carefully perused the rockpile for a while and found no animals or Dave Edmunds but while I was on my hands and knees, I saw a design in the grass...

I don't know if we startled him out of the pile or if he was out there sunning, but this wee shoestring Garter was a very welcome sight.

Already happy, we moved into the wooded trail towards where we'd found the Snaplings back on August 16th. There wasn't a lot to see along the way, cool as it was. We finally saw another Redback when we reached the Alley.

Ah, carpets. This lasso of a Garter was coiled up relaxing under some carpet.

Andrea got this proof of a beautiful, bright Garter along the Alley path but it was far too smart for us to get a proper portrait.

We buried the turtles that didn't make it right in the nest they came from. They are with the spirits of their nestmates who never had a chance. From there, we walked down to the river and looked across at where we released the nine healthy Snaplings back in September. The water has filled in a lot since then, thanks to a lot of rain. It looks pretty good. They're back in those reeds somewhere.

My last photo... a gorgeous pink-head perusing the muck, seeing if any frogs are about. They weren't.

As I write this on October 30th, there is a damn blizzard blowing outside. I call 2020 officially over, except for den visits and Sea Turtle Patrol.
Speaking of which, the reason we had to be home early was for a virtual Sea Turtle meeting. We are signed up for our 6th year of Sea Turtle Rescue. Not sure what the season will bring, but it's going to start very soon.
I hate winter. Hope to see you on a beach this sea turtle season.
ReplyDelete