Sunday, September 15, 2024

Fitting It In (not that, you perv) 9-7 and 9-8, 2024

The band had a show to play on Saturday night and that always limits what we can do in the field. We decided to take a hike on this overcast Saturday at a nearby spot in Norfolk County. It has been a good spot for Milks on overcast days and we just needed to get out and see some nature.

Well, we got no Milks. Or much of anything, despite the three-plus miles hiked. I did get to check out a lot of happy bees on goldenrod. Here is a Carpenter Bee and a (I think) European Honeybee.


We didn't see anything of the reptile variety until we got to the river and saw some distant Painted Turtles basking on a log.


That was it. We enjoyed the walk, always with our eyes open for hatchling turtles and shoestring snakes but we didn't encounter any. No squished ones, either, so that's good.

Of course, we were up late with the show and we didn't get to bed until very late. Our plans of getting up early and heading to Plymouth County evaporated as we both slept in despite lights being on and cats walking on us. By early afternoon, I was mad at myself (nothing new) and suggested we go to our local pond to see if any turtles were up.

We got there and I could see a massive turtle basking from the road. It could only be a Snapper (unlikely) or a Red-ear. (Bingo!)

Another two Red-ears. The smaller one either shows that they do breed in this population or, more likely, it's a new dumpee.

A Snapper glided over to inspect us, then moved on.

There were tons of Canada Geese at the pond. Of course, poop was everywhere so we had to watch our step. We sat on a bench and watched them for a while. They were doing some interesting behavior. Some actually dove, which I'd never seen, and some were doing somersaults or flapping onto their backs. I suspect it was all a part of grooming but it was fun to watch them. It almost looked like play.

 A Red-ear swimming by...

This is the pond where the Snappers are fearless because they often get fed. I am guilty of having thrown them a crumb or two over the years. But I know it isn't a good idea because Snappers just pop up whenever you sit near the edge. Which is what I did after finding a poop-free space. I have no idea how many different Snappers swam up or, if I'm being honest, if any were our old pal Whitey.

Umm... easy, boy.


I'm also happy to report that the Yellow-bellied Slider that was dumped a few years ago is doing well and begging just like the rest of them. He is a true loner.

The hour and a half we spent at the pond did much to relieve my post-gig/ missed hike sadness. Not a completely lost weekend I'm happy to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment