Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Tagging Along. 6-4-2022

 A gentleman who we have seen speak a couple of times and who works with turtles locally, set up a meeting for interested parties to hook up with him on a "turtle walk". Of course, we were very interested. He and Andrea have spoken a number of times but this was our first in-field experience with him and we were looking forward to it. His name is Brian and he's a wonderful person.

We got to the prescribed spot at 10 AM in Middlesex County and it was warm and breezy. We met up with one other woman and a couple joined us a bit late. We were walking along the main trail and would be seeing what was in the traps in the water.

On the way there, there were some Water Snakes warming up for the day. The first one was small and, evidently, according to my photo... blurry.

This guy was about 20 feet out and, what do you know? Also blurry.

This big mama Nerodia was a bit more cooperative, though the half shadow wasn't going to do me any favors.

It had been fairly cool the day before when the traps were baited and it didn't look like any turtles would be in them. When the traps were emptied, however, there was a lot of interesting stuff in them anyway. I got to see some fish that I likely wouldn't get to see on my own.


Like a Brown Bullhead.

And a Redfin Pickerel.

The last possible trap finally had some turtles in it. Two male Painted Turtles were in there.

Now the traps, of course, were to check on Blanding's Turtles and other harder to find species in the area but these Painters were all that took the bait this day. Still, it was a wonderful walk and Brian is a font of knowledge. I always like to learn a lot and I must say that I did.

He had to leave so we all went back with him, helping him carry traps and gear, then Andrea and I went back out to explore further. The sun was broiling us by now so silly hats had to happen.

A few more Painted Turtles.

Green Frogs and Bullfrogs could be heard calling all day but the only frog we got our eyes on was this one very green Bull.

This place used to be thick with Leopard Frogs but I've noticed a lot less in the last 2 years. None all day and I don't think we saw one last year here at all. This distresses me.

My photo of a perfectly beautiful, white-latex-paint-striped Garter also distresses me. But it's all I got. Barely even a usable voucher.

This one made us smile. A Snapper head poking out of a culvert tube. Looks like he has a massive shell!

Speaking of Snappers, you don't always see them up basking but every once in a while, you get lucky! Snappy and Painty are friends. Fuck the police.

A mammoth female Water Snake was poking through the brush.

The only other photo I managed was a Painter doing yoga.

I must admit that after Brian left, I started to feel quite fatigued and we cut our day shorter than we'd planned. I still felt pretty shitty the next day and we wasted a nice day by staying put.

But any day that you see critters is a good day. It just makes me even more eager to get out there next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment