Sunday, May 29, 2022

Friday Surprises. 5-27-2022

We were both off last Friday but I'd heard the weather was going to be squelchy and wet. But what do I know? It turned out to look pretty nice and we decided to take an impromptu trip to a local spot that has been having some good bird activity lately.

After doing some errands, we got there and headed towards the river first. Our hopes were to see some turtles. Much to our delight, our first sighting was of a large Water Snake sunning herself on the shore next to a big piece of tin.

I like to think that she kept the tip of her tail on the hot tin for the purpose of thermoregulating.

There were indeed a couple of Painted Turtles up basking in the river.

Hard to believe I went so long in 2022 without photographing a Blue Jay, but here is #79. (I'd seen them, but never when I had my camera.) I love the muddy face in the first picture.

I couldn't remember if I had Wood Ducks on the year but I wasn't going to pass up a shot of mama and her ducklings. Turns out, I needed them... #80.

Andrea spied this Garter who was sunning for some Vitamin D. Not only in the blue, his mouth looks like it's recovering from some trauma. I wish him well.

A big chocolate- raspberry Water Snake. 

I had missed a shot of a Green Frog who outsmarted me so I poked around the grass hoping to make another one jump out. Hard to believe, it worked. A golden beauty!

Another pretty Water Snake was up... this is my kind of day!

We went over a step-bridge to peek at a spot in the adjoining park. It is a spot unlike any other in the confines of Suffolk County. As always, it was beautiful. One side of the (next) footbridge, we saw some happy Green Frogs.

We noted that "it's funny... we only see Green Frogs on this side of the bridge... never Bulls. They are always on the other side."

Sure enough... the other side:

We headed back and decided to go back via the river trail that we had come in on. It paid off with a couple more Painted Turtle sightings. The first guy is me, on the deep side of the pool.

This next photo from the river was a happy surprise that made me laugh out loud when I saw it on the computer. I knew I had the Painters but the Snapper noggin on the left was a complete surprise!

Last call... a couple of Painters on the river's edge.

I couldn't be happier that we went out. As far as birding, we didn't do much (though I was happy to add the two species that I did). But seeing a handful of snakes, frogs and turtles does the soul a lot of good. Not bad for not having planned anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment