Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Escaping Certain Death. 8-25, 2019

With EEE running rampant, we're not able to get to many of our favorite spots to look for animals. Well, we could, but why risk getting sick? I'm dumb, but I'm not stupid. So, I decided I'd drive us deep into Worcester County to our Black Rat place. It was supposed to be fairly cool so we really wanted to be outside.

We got there in the late morning and headed right to "the tree", but nobody was present. So we moved on and started to see lots of hopping in the grass. The place was filled with fast Pickerels. Andrea spied this chubby one that sat long enough for a photo.
DSCN0397

Most were too fast for us but we got a shot of this interesting one.
DSCN0398
It has the usual rows of blotches but has a couple of spots in between the rows. Not a common thing with palustris.

We followed up a plethora of Pickerels with the first Eft we'd seen in a while. Eft and Slug are Friends.
DSCN0399

In addition to the Pickerels, tiny Peepers were also hopping about.
DSCN0400

Andrea scored our only snake of the day when she flipped this feisty Ringneck. Getting any kind of photo was an ordeal.
DSCN0401

Painted Turtles were doing their thing, which is sitting on a log.
DSCN0404

Another teeny Peeper.
DSCN0405

Painters rule. I know that. You know that. They know that.
DSCN0406
DSCN0407

Andrea spied this little green noggin poking up and I got the pic but there's not really enough diagnostics for me to choose between Green or Bull. Is that a dorsolateral ridge? Is that a pointier snout? I lean towards Green, but...whatever...
DSCN0408

A small, probably American Toad hopped across the path.
DSCN0410

I could see this beaver in the distance gnawing on stuff but I'll be damned if I could get a decent shot.
DSCN0411

I flipped a stone and an American Toad slunk back into a hole, trying to avoid my camera. I don't win many, but I won this battle of wills.
DSCN0415

One last look around before leaving once again gave us a slew of amphibians behaving like grasshoppers. Andrea got the last possible shot of another Pickerel.
DSC_0004

And that's that. We drove an hour there, herped for a couple of hours, then drove an hour back. And to the best of my knowledge, neither of us contracted Eastern equine encephalitis that day.

1 comment:

  1. i love the pictures ......all of them but i worry about yous getting sick, did you both use a ton of deet?

    ReplyDelete