Thursday, August 8, 2019

2019: After the Fall of a Dork. July 27th and 28th.

Having been surgerized on Wednesday and spending both Thursday and Friday in bed on painkillers (not really a complaint), it was time to try to move again by Saturday. Not much, but start getting off of my ass. My arm was heavily mummified and I was still a bit bit woozy, so we chose a very nearby place that is flat. It was hot and humid (85°+) when we finally got to our spot. Andrea had my camera because I was not yet able to lift it. All pictures here are hers.

We walked along slowly and I was enjoying the feel of the sun and the smell of the breeze. We doubted we'd see any snakes due to the temperature but hoped for some swimming turtles or frogs. Proving that broken limbs do not hinder one's eyesight, I saw the shine of this shell about 20 feet out and Andrea nailed the shot. A small Painted Turtle.
DSCN0178

Andrea impressively spotted this Swamp Thing Painter.
DSCN0179

After a week of hospitals and the inside of my eyelids, it was nice to just sit (in any shaded area we could find) and look at nature.
DSCN0180
DSCN0182

We'd earlier seen a large Water Snake shifting around between some big rocks, but we couldn't get a photo as she was mostly out of sight, then completely gone. Andrea saw a pretty Garter up periscoping, though. But as expected, it was a very warm critter and a decent photo just wasn't going to happen.
DSCN0183

We hadn't walked very far but I asked to turn back. I wanted to go back to the turtle spot and watch them, if we could. I was tiring already and wanted to see a little bit more. Sure enough, some turtles (and the unseen but ever-calling Green Frogs) scattered when we stopped to look around. Andrea caught some great shots of them anyway.
DSCN0184
DSCN0185
It was right around here that Andrea discovered my secret. I get some really nice photos but it has absolutely nothing to do with a good eye or talent... it's a kick-ass camera. Glad I saved it.

Beaver Lodge. (Is there a strip club named that yet?)
DSCN0187

We checked a little closer to the river before departing. Sneaking down a fairly secluded path towards the water, we spied this Bullfrog who positively owns that pond.
DSCN0191

Last up, Andrea nailed this through-the-bushes shot of a small Painted Turtle who thought he was sunbathing privately.
DSCN0194

That was barely an hour and I was gassed. But it felt damn good to get my carcass out and about and get some Vitamin D from above.

The next day was going to be just as hot so we thought we'd get out early. Then I slept until 10 AM. That's like well into the afternoon for lots of people. So, we headed out late and it was already hot. Whatever. The difference this day, I was driving for the first time since the accident. I was planning on going to work the next day so I needed to see how it went. It went fine.

First stop was "Green Snake Place" in Norfolk County. We'd seen a Green and a few Garters on a similarly hot day years ago so we figured we'd roll the dice. As soon as we got there, I saw a vivid Garter crawl under a rock as we approached. I carefully tipped up the rock (with my good arm) as Andrea snapped this shot.
DSCN0196
Stunning Garters at this spot. Looks like he had a meal in him.

I was unable to attempt the rocky hill where we always see tons of snakes so I stayed above (in the shade) while Andrea skittered down the slope. While down there, she found a feisty in-the-blue Garter who showed her who was boss. Or tried to, anyway.
DSCN0200
nom-nom-nom
DSCN0199
I was sorry to have missed that in person but the photos give me a chuckle.

From there, we drove over to our local cemetery to see if any turtles were up. It was over 90° and we doubted there would be many up basking. But we hadn't counted on a smart Painter... up, in charge and basking in the shade! Smarty-shell!
DSCN0205

There actually was one large Slider up basking but he slid in as we approached the pond. (That Painter never did!) Another Red-ear was swimming not far from where we stood.
DSCN0208

The big guy that slipped into the drink was seen swimming near his former perch.
DSCN0209

As we walked along the edge of the pond, frogs jumped in by the dozens, so quickly that we never got an eye on them. Andrea proved why she's the brains of this outfit... she took a shot 20 feet ahead of us...
DSCN0211
Upon close inspection, 5 Bullfrogs can be seen along the left side of this photo!

We pulled up a seat to just watch the water for a while before heading home. We hadn't noticed when we sat down but just 10 feet from us, partially hidden by bushes, was a Great Blue Heron.
DSCN0217
She was hunting so we just sat there and watched her work.
DSCN0220
DSCN0221
Bingo... a snack.
DSCN0222
And then she flew off.
DSCN0223
What a privilege to watch a master hunter at work from such close range.

So, that was my re-entry into the world of nature. Things steadily improved throughout that week. I got my wraps off and got a hard-splint (that I call my shell) and have been getting better movement every day.

3 comments:

  1. you're healing very fast. that's really good to hear...
    now tell me about your kick ass camera...... cause i'm going to save for a new one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coolpix P-900... point and shoot. Very good camera for people who don't know all of that F-stop shit!! haha

      Delete