Wednesday, December 19, 2018

December Doesn't Have to Suck. 12-15-2018

Turtle Season is winding down; the turtles washing in are fewer, although some are still appearing. With mild temps on Saturday, we were ready to walk but we never got the call. So, we found ourselves with a rare free Saturday. Being the joyous time of year that it is, we decided to do some damn errands. Since it hadn't dropped below 40° the night before and it had been raining, we decided to take a quick hike through our local spot in hopes of a salamander or two.

It was pleasant, in the low 50s, and the sun was trying desperately to break through. Being the fools that we are, we decided to look at some known dens to see if any snakes were poking their heads out. The obvious spots were bare, as expected. In the Valley of Nerodia, I wanted to check a known den exit just to see if a Water Snake noggin was popping out. No... but when I looked down toward a trickle of water, I saw this.
DSCN0094
It looked pretty frozen so I broke our cardinal den site rule and picked it up. Yup... pretty stiff. Dead. Until the tongue came out. It then coiled tightly into my warm hand.
DSCN0095
I'm not sure what was going on here. Perhaps, this Garter left the den to go down for a quick drink and found it colder than expected. At any rate, it warmed up a bit in my hand and I put him back down into the leaves and left him alone.

Not a bad sight for December 15th.

We'd been noticing frost under logs so we didn't bother flipping many. Rocks were a better bet so we went to an area that we like and carefully flipped a few. Much to our delight, there were plenty of Redbacks there.
DSCN0099
DSCN0102
DSCN0106

We didn't encounter any more animals out in the woods but walked on for a while longer. It did our souls (and colds) a lot of good to get some fresh air and nature. After about 45 minutes, we found ourselves back in the Valley of Nerodia on the way out. Our little pal had headed up the hill towards a known Garter den entrance.
DSCN0107
I like to think that our gentle handling warmed him up enough to find his way back. Probably not but shut up... let me have some fun here.

That was that.

One more cool thing, though.

After some shopping, we were pulling into a strip mall parking lot and I saw a Raptor cruise over head and land next to a pizzeria. I drove into their lot and went toward the back where the bird had gone. I got my lifer Dumpster Hawk!
#106 Cooper's Hawk
Actually, a Cooper's Hawk, #106 on the year. Probably rodent hunting back there.

Getting out of the house in December never felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment