Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A Flip of the Coin. 9-10-2017

Yes, we actually did flip a coin on this beautiful, sunny Sunday. It was going to be in the mid-70s and we either wanted to go to Plymouth County and look for some of the snake species that we've had miserable luck with this year or go to Bristol County in hopes of hatchling turtles. The flip was tails... turtles, so we headed over to one of our better turtle spots. We got there before 11 AM.

Our first sighting, long before we got to the known nesting spots, was a Pickerel who was hiding in the reeds. I didn't realize that I had my camera on an odd setting, so bear with me for a while.
DSCN0846

Every toad from September on is a gift and we know that. We did see plenty of smaller Fowler's out and about (like this one) but no larger specimens, who presumably know what is on the horizon.
DSCN0848

Our board area was "cleaned up" earlier this year, though we still had a few hidden ones. One of these secret hiding spots was covering this new Garter who is enduring his first shed, I'll bet.
DSCN0849
This is the first snake we've seen in our former board area since the clean-up.

The boards used to be a good spot for Racers. Like all of our other reliable Racer spots, the tidying up has made them move on. This large skin, however, is the first sign we've seen all year that they're still around. Here's hoping that next year is better for these snakes.
DSCN0850

Walking up a shady trail, Andrea found an Automeris io caterpillar. (Thanks once again, TeĆ”!)
Automeris io
Very, very cool!

We got to a big sandy area next to a pond where we have seen both Snappers and Painteds nesting in the past. We saw no hatchlings there but that might be a good thing as there was a Great Egret (my #79 on the year) and a Great Blue Heron hunting in the shallow water.
#79 Great Egret

This Fowler's was braving it, though.
DSCN0859

Further in, in a wooded area, I was walking toward a log and heard something. Just on the other side of the log, I saw a nice Garter who crawled under it. I rolled it back and captured the snake for a photo. Another Garter had its head peeking out of a hole under it and retreated when it saw me. I reached in and the hole went way back... nice hiding spot. Possible hibernaculum? Here's the guy that lead me to that spot.
DSCN0861

Our next beach area also got us no turtles. Maybe we'd made the wrong choice (or rather the coin had). A path that runs in between two ponds had some life... Andrea saw a shoestring Ribbon Snake disappear into the brush while we scolded this Pickerel Frog for being out on the sand.
DSCN0864

A couple of distant Painted Turtles were making photos very difficult.
DSCN0865

I decided to take one for the team and went out into the shallow water in hopes of a Musk or a Snapping Turtle. I did see one young (yearling?) Water Snake with stunning markings on the hunt. I wasn't able to get a better shot because I didn't want to bother him too much.
DSCN0870

Meanwhile, Andrea had scored our target... a hatchling Musk Turtle that was in a puddle that I'd looked through. Now how did I miss that?
DSC_0034
A photo-session ensued.
DSC_0038
DSC_0036

I went back to the water and could see, far in the distance, a very large turtle basking. Probably a Redbelly but it was much too far away to get a working photo. I tried to remember the spot for later. This nearby Painter had moved into a better position, so I snapped this shot.
DSCN0873

After a quick rest, we decided to take a newish (to us) path that we'd discovered this Spring. We had seen a few over-wintered hatchlings that time. We saw no turtles this time out but a mud puddle had two of the most beautiful Green Frogs I've seen in a while.
DSCN0875
DSCN0877

We got to the spot across from where I was walking the water and yes, the large turtle was still up. And yes, it was a big, beautiful Redbelly.
DSCN0880
Not content with that photo, we walked up a hundred yards or so and got him from a different angle. I'm very happy with this shot. One of my best on the year.
DSCN0881

We were now also in Painted Turtle territory.
DSCN0882
DSCN0886
DSCN0888

Somebody has personal space issues.
DSCN0885

While photographing the turtles, I looked down and a young Bullfrog was keeping me company.
DSCN0887
Nice- we were at nine species.

We walked along the path wondering if we could find a Redback or something for an even 10 species. We also talked about the fact that we'd never seen Two-lined Salamanders here; there isn't much stream action going on. That said, our next stop was  an area where one pond spills through a culvert and runs through to join the very pond we'd just left. Yes, it forms kind of a stream, I guess.

Much to my surprise and delight, a flat rock on the edge of this water had the first Two-lined Salamander we'd ever encountered at this park. Speak of the devil.
DSCN0891
In a way, it's not surprising. We've seen two-lines in many strange places... rushing rivers, swelling pond edges and unlikely urban areas. Nice to hit 10 species with a new one for this place. This was a big one, too.

This lone Painter congratulated us from afar.
DSCN0893

We carried on, back to the car. We stumbled on this pair of Mantids. She was shouting "there's nothing to see here! Move along!" then started cooing to her partner, "yes, it was good for me. Still is..."
DSCN0894

We checked our boards again on the way out since we'd been hiking for 4 or 5 hours. One slab had nothing under it... no wait... two neonate Garters! One slithered into the grass but this quarter-sized coil stayed put.
DSCN0895

So, thank you Mr. Coin. Not a bad choice after all. As the full-on herping season winds down, we're trying to get in as many hikes as possible. Soon, it will be back to the beaches for the important stuff but for now, we're thrilled to have had four 10 species (or more) hikes in a row. In the barren state of Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment