Friday, December 30, 2016

Ending 2016. Dec. 27th and 30th, 2016

I think we can all agree that 2016 has sucked on many levels. Our herping adventures were OK, though our two biggest out-of-state trips were underwhelming. With less than a week left in this year, I figured we should try to see a few more animals.

Tuesday the 27th, it was very mild (mid-50s) and though Andrea had work, I figured I'd go alone to a nearby spot in Suffolk County to see if any salamanders were up. I did check the snake dens as well but since there have been many nights of frost, I didn't expect to see any... and I didn't. One spot, however, had loads of Redbacks so I took a pictures of a few of them.
DSCN5023
The brazen and the shy...
DSCN5027
This last one, a Leadback phase, was massive... close to 4 inches long. And *ahem* girthy.
DSCN5028

Friday, December 30th... it was cold. I battled snow while I was out running some errands. It ended quickly, though, and by the time Andrea was home from a shortened work day, it was sunny again. But still frigid. It was about 35° and with the breeze, it was downright nasty. But we were just heading over to a nearby stream to try to see some last minute salamanders for 2016.

The water was icy, but running. It looked good for Two-lined Salamanders and, since we've seen hundreds in this spot over the years, we knew it was. It wasn't long before we found a couple of adults... one small and one quite large.
DSCN5052
Good thing I got that safety shot in the cup... only the big guy posed for a nature shot... the little pretty one slid off in a hurry.
DSCN5054

Though I was without a dip-net, I still wanted to try to find a larvae. This stream had been bone dry for most of the summer and it makes me wonder if any had survived. They can be larval for 2 or 3 years. So, I flipped stones that were fully in the water and scooped with the cup, hoping for a larvae... nope, but I got us another adult.
DSCN5056

Finally, another scoop yielded a good sized larvae. I have no idea where these guys went during the drought, but this guy has been around for a year or two, so he did something right.
DSCN5060

Andrea gently poured him back into his stream. He is our last herp of 2016.
DSCN5061

OK, last year was weird. We had a Garter on New Year's Eve. No hope for that this year. In fact, oddly enough, our last snake for 2016 is... a Copperhead on November 19th. Weird.

Our last frog of the year was a Pickerel on October 23rd.

Last toad was an American on October 16th. (Pretty late for a toad, too)

Our last non-sea turtle was a couple of Painters on the same day as the Pickerel.

So, that's our year. Personally, I hope 2017 is better. We'll do our part to try to make it a better year for all life on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment