Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A half hour on a Wednesday... 12-17-2014

It hasn't been sub-zero for much of this week and it has been rainy so I figured that if I had a chance  after work on Wednesday (forecasts were calling for 50°), I'd take a quick walk. Of course, the sun sets so early now that I'd have to hurry. I blew off the company Christmas party and decided to see if any salamanders were up at Brook Farm.

I pass a pond in Newton on the way home and I've been noticing what look like Hooded Mergansers hanging out there for a week or so. Sure enough, with my zoom lens, I was able to see that yes, they are indeed Hoodeds!
DSCN8720
Of course in the setting sun, I couldn't get great shots, but it's still a thrill to see these guys among the Canada Geese and Mallards that are usually here.
DSCN8724
That front guy was preening so much I'm surprised he has any feathers left.

As I pulled into Brook, I thought I should keep my eyes open for deer in the fields as it was dusk. Umm.. ask and ye shall receive! A White-tail Deer was grazing on the far end of the field.
DSCN8730
DSCN8732
Next year, I'll be trying to photograph and ID 30 species of mammal. Wanna bet I don't see one of these guys all year?!

But I was there for salamanders and I only had about 15 minutes before it would be past dusk and I'd be officially trespassing. The vernals are super-full right now so many of my pond-side flipping logs are submerged. But a rock I call Old Reliable was just that once again... a pair of skittery Redbacks were there, for a moment at least!
DSCN8735

With that, I called it a success and headed out to get home and write this thrilling report.

You're welcome.

De nada.

No comments:

Post a Comment