Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Being cool at Massasoit. 7-21-2013

The heatwave finally ended on Saturday night. It was supposed to merely be in the low 80s for Sunday, so we chose Massasoit, a favorite place of ours, in hopes that some herps would be rejoicing the more tolerable weather. We had a big 50s Diner brekkie and got to the park just a little before 9 AM.

It had rained fairly hard just before we got there so, naturally, we expected to be abused by bugs. Luckily, they held off for the most part. A few gnats and at least one yellow fly and some skeeters, but not really heavy like the torture we've been going through lately!

First up was a familiar face... a Bullfrog (far smaller than the behemoths we saw the day before)!
DSCN5756

Next up, we flipped the first of many Fowler's Toads.
DSCN5757

We have been lamenting the fact that we hadn't seen a Black Racer since April, so our next flip was very gratifying!
DSCN5759
His wee black coils under a board were so cute! And like all Racers, he was feisty!
DSC_0012
Ready to shed and ready to become a big bruiser! What a beauty!
DSCN5765
DSCN5771

This tiny Fowler's was nearby, relieved that the Racer had slithered off.
DSCN5773

Speaking of tiny toads, they were everywhere!!! Tons and tons of tiny toads in Taunton!
tiny toad 1

This spider, who had built a nest in a knot in a tree, looked out at the terror of the toads...
DSCN5775

There were some larger toads about as well.
DSCN5779
DSC_0035

We got to a favorite stone flippin' place in hopes of some more snakes. But we flipped more Toads!
flip toads

This tiny toad is a Tareyton smoker.
DSC_0040

This medium guy had his throat puffed out.
DSC_0053

This guy was just thinking, "soon..."
DSC_0054

Both within about 10 feet of the pond, I flipped two female Wolf Spiders with their backs covered with baby spiderlings!
DSCN5784
DSCN5786

Some more youngsters...
DSCN5787

A regular and a "soon"-phase...
DSCN5789

Andrea got this nice shot of a small mantid... I couldn't even see him!
DSC_0067

We went out wading in hopes of a few Water Snakes, turtles or whatever. We saw a few Bullfrogs first!
wading bulls

When I say tiny toads were everywhere, I mean it! They were even swimming in the water!
DSC_0070

Andrea's inner birder came out and she got this shot of a Mourning Dove atop a boulder!
DSC_0072

And a heron on the other side of the pond... Yay 42 zoom!
DSCN5794

We got sidetracked for a bit.
DSC_0073

Finally, we entered Chelonialand and spotted a few Painted Turtles!
DSCN5795
DSCN5798
DSCN5800
I like the guy on the right. It doesn't look too comfy, but turtles gotta bask!

I flipped this crayfish who posed patiently while I tried to get a good shot. It took about 7 tries, but I like it.
DSCN5806

It's about time for another tiny toad!
DSCN5807

We got to a spot that has been pretty reliable for basking Painteds, so we approached very quietly... I got this shot...
DSCN5808
...before he slid in.

But we sat there and ate apples and relaxed. Eventually, he came back up and paid us no never mind.
DSCN5811
At least I think it's the same one. Little fella at any rate!

Our search for more snakes and black-eyed toads was coming to an end. It seems the snakes hadn't heard that the heatwave had ended and they were still in hiding. They were missing out on lots of good eatin'!
DSCN5813

Finally, on the way out, we checked the cranberry bogs and saw a couple of Green Frogs!
DSCN5816
DSCN5817

We had put in roughly 6 1/2 hours and needed some chow and drink. We split a king-sized Reese's Peanut Butter Cups pack and got some cold soda (yes, I am 12) and headed over to Oliver Mills for a photo shoot I had been planning.

To me, the ruins at Oliver Mills look like Berzanno, the place where the undead Templars roam in Tombs of the Blind Dead. So, having finished my candy and soda, I took my toy Blind Dead figure and set up my photo shoot.
DSC_0074
DSCN5823

While I was doing that, Andrea watched a Muskrat swim across the water!
DSC_0083

No herps, but we saw a feisty Crayfish who loved pinching me!
DSCN5827

So all in all, not a bad day at all!


2 comments:

  1. The last racer was May 4, and I still have a tiny scar on my right cheek from that encounter.

    I also snorted over your "Tareyton smoker" remark, because I'm old enough to get the reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee... better than the original one I had!

      Delete